WHO WE ARE
The Children’s Hospital Association (CHA) advances child health through innovation in the quality, cost and delivery of care. Representing 220 members, CHA is the voice of children’s hospitals nationally. Children’s hospitals are essential providers, setting the standard for the highest quality pediatric care while training the next generation of pediatricians. With its members, CHA champions policies that enable children’s hospitals to better serve children; leverages its position as the pediatric leader in data analytics to facilitate national collaborative and research efforts to improve performance; and spreads best practices to benefit the nation’s children. CHA has offices in Lenexa, KS, and Washington, DC.
The Director of Application Services is responsible for the overall planning, organizing, maintenance, enhancement and implementation of all Business Application Solutions. This includes directing all IT Application operations to meet customer requirements as well as the support and maintenance of existing applications and development of new technical solutions. Manages multiple teams supporting different applications and lines of businesses, i.e. Finance, HR, Business Analytics, Education/Events, Supply Chain, Member Services/Communications/Marketing (Content Management Solutions), etc. The Director of Application Services will work closely with decision makers in these departments to identify, recommend, develop, implement, and support cost-effective technology solutions for all aspects of the organization.
This individual’s principal goals are to develop and manage application portfolios/roadmaps for each department and to attain all IT service level agreements for the user community within the organization.
The Director of Application Services role is to supervise and maintain the organization’s repository of software applications through best practices and the appropriate staffing and management of a technical team. This individual will apply proven communication and problem-solving skills to guide and assist the user group on issues related to the design, development, and deployment of mission-critical information and software systems.
- Evaluate new applications, systems software, products, and/or enhancements to existing applications throughout the enterprise.
- Analyzes complex business needs presented by the user community and/or clients and recommends technical solution options.
- Change Management - Ensures systems are reliable and minimal unplanned outages through a clear change management process and root cause analysis.
- Liaise with software vendors for prompt rectification of any problems or emergencies.
- Ensures the consistency and maintainability of existing applications by creating, maintaining, and enforcing standards/procedures for implementing and maintaining technical solutions.
- Directs operations in executing production tasks according to a documented schedule that meets or exceeds customer expectations.
- Release Management -- Produces detailed timeline for each application release and implements effective project control by monitoring the progress of the software release and reporting the status.
- Directs and prioritizes the work load of teams.
- Reviews all designs, code and unit test plans where applicable.
- Approves all business requirements prior to the technical solution.
- Participates on software evaluations and maintains vendor contracts.
- Perform liaison duties between users, operations, and programming personnel in the areas of systems design, modifications or trouble shooting.
- Innovation - Responsible for the development and direction of initiatives aimed at improving current processes and products and for generating ideas for new products and services.
- Coordinating - Includes prioritizing multiple responsibilities and/or accomplishing them simultaneously within the constraints and demands of the customer base, using judgment, analysis and decision making abilities.
- Project Management - Develops, prioritizes, and supports the IT project portfolio for infrastructure and support, ensuring IT alignment with business unit requirements.
- Issue Resolution - Resolves issues related to project portfolio including scope, resources, etc.
This position manages all employees of the application support, software development, database administration, and solution architecture and is responsible for the performance management and hiring of the employees within those groups.
CRM Analyst, Application Systems Analyst, Database Applications Developer, SQL Databases Administrator, Team Lead Database Services Developer
Any combination of education and experience providing the required skill and knowledge is qualifying. Typical qualifications would be equivalent to:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, computer information systems or related field or an equivalent combination of experience, education, and training considered.
- Master’s degree in relevant field or business is preferred.
Experience and Special Skills:
- Minimum of eight (8) years of experience within information technology management.
- Minimum of five (5) years application support management.
- 2-3 years of practical professional experience in project management.
- Fundamental understanding of web-based systems programming and development.
- Experience in the most current technologies and products used in the industry.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including presentation skills.
- Strong tactful influencing and negotiation skills.
Licenses / Certifications
- Extensive periods of sitting and keyboard/computer work
- Communicates in person and over the phone
- May on occasion be required to lift packages up to 25 lbs.
- Travel: Up to 20%
- General office environment
- Regular and predictable attendance